Gay and Lesbian Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory My Zimbio Blog Directory and Search engine
Lesbian Dating and Relationship Search

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Oregon Senator Gary George tells gays to Shut Up!

In Oregon, two lawmakers are planning a statewide ballot initiative to repeal the gay-rights law passed by the 2007 Legislature prohibiting discrimination in housing and employment based on sexual orientation.

Senator Gary George is one of the co-sponsor of this ballot initiative and was recently interviewed by Oregon's Gay Newspaper, Just Out. I was so blown away by the Senators statements in this interview that I had to share them.

Just Out: Why are you sponsoring this repeal initiative?

State senator Gary George: I’ve had people approach me for special rights for homosexuals and I don’t believe anyone should have special rights. I’ve had members of the gay community come in and ask and I’ll say I’m sorry I don’t give anyone special rights.


Just Out: What sort of special rights do you feel that the Oregon Equality Act offers?

George: First off, I thought that was a fabrication of definition, in the sense that you gave special rights, it picks out another group, a lifestyle group, and says hmm, you have all these protections. The main thing that bothered us with the whole bill was the fact that here we go again, adding one more class of people that need to have special rights.


Just Out: Can you give an example?

George: If I discriminate in favor of you it automatically requires I discriminate against someone else. I was hoping with your generation we can stop calling each other ‘asian-american,' or 'latino-american...' There’s one talk show host, and he has really severe hard feelings against affirmative action. Because of the race that he is, I believe he’s Italian, he was discriminated against because he’s not black. I have dear dear friends in the legislature who are black but sometimes I really get tired of hearing about their color.


Just Out: What if an employee is fired because of his/her sexual orientation or gender identity? Isn't the Oregon Equality Act in place to guard against such discrimination?

George: As an employer, I don’t wanna hear about it. This workplace is for work purposes. My advice to the gay community is SHUT UP, just don’t talk about it. If you walk around talking about what you do in the bedroom, you should be on the pervert channel.


Just Out: What is your reaction to the recent murders of out gay youth in Florida and California?

George: Obviously murder is murder, there’s no excuse for that. Here’s what I’m saying, I think we’re seeing a backlash, in other words if you push me too hard don’t be surprised if I react. Gays will tend to react violently if people are oppressive toward them. If gays are oppressive toward straights, then you’ll see a violent backlash. You’re going to have a point where these groups develop and say I’m tired of these special privileges.


Just Out: Are you suggesting that gays, by virtue of being out and open, are inciting these types of violent reactions?

George: You have to recognize for every action there’s a reaction…we’re obviously not gonna tolerate anyone who beats up any other person.

If you do feel like you’ve been discriminated against as a gay, you have hard feelings. I remember when I was heavy and wore glasses as a child and I was picked on. We all know the gay person that nobody notices – I think that is where we need to head. Everybody knows where the line is, so when I see I’m offending someone, I have to back away from that. We have to adjust our behavior so as to not be offensive. If you push anyone too hard, they will react.

My plea to the gay community would be, hey, mature. We have brilliant, brilliant people within the gay community.


Just Out: Who are some of those brilliant gay people?

George: [Senator George laughs] We know a bunch of them, they’re some of the brightest and wealthiest people in the country.

But wait, there's more...


In an audio recording of Oregon State Senator Gary George (R - McMinnville) February 21, 2008 gathering of the Constitution Party of Oregon has emerged online in which the state senator vigorously agrees with an audience member that, with the state's new anti-discrimination law for sexual minorities in place, Oregon may be headed in the ideological direction of Nazi Germany.

About six minutes into the nearly hour-long speech, state senator Gary George says this:

"Do they [the legislature] have the ability to write a bill dealing with special rights for homosexuals? To say that if I should stand at a pulpit and reach back here and grab a bible and tell you that homosexuality is an abomination to God, and if you're a homosexual you need to stop doing that, okay. You need to stop that.

If I were to do that, under this bill, and we had the right people in the room, I could be brought up on charges - sound a little bit like Canada? Sound a little bit like Europe?"

Then a voice from the crowd yells out "Nazi Germany! Sieg Heil!"

"Nazi Germany, yeah that's right. And so, what happens is, what happens was, is they were able to get passed, and right now there's an effort out there by Marylin Shannon and a bunch of us that are actually going to challenge that. We're gonna say 'No, I'm sorry, you cannot provide special rights, you know, for homosexuals...' with the ability to sue you, and with the requirement that your children and your grandchildren be taught affirmatively that homosexuality is a great idea.

So that's the kind of thing that we're battling down there."

No comments:

 

Blog Directory blogarama.com, Free online web directory, Search Engine Submission - AddMe
type='text/javascript'/>